|HEADQUARTERS OF THE DEPARTMENT COMMANDER
DEPARTMENT OF TENNESSEE WITH ALABAMA AND MISSISSIPPI
SONS OF UNION VETERANS OF THE CIVIL WAR
Ben Block Jones II, PCC
246 Highland Place Dr.
Jackson, MS 39211-5909
DEPARTMENT ORDER #1, 2018-2019
1. I wish to thank all the brothers who attended the 23th Annual Department Encampment, Past
Department Commander David McReynolds for his leadership during his tenure,
representatives of McTeer Camp No. 39 and the Allied Orders for their support and all other
elected and appointed officers for our organization’s continued success. As your duly elected
and installed Commander, it is a great honor but I am aware and appreciate the solemn
responsibilities that are now placed upon my shoulders. I stand ready to face our challenges
always guided by our core principles of Fraternity, Charity, and Loyalty and consistent with our
duty to perpetuate the memory of the Grand Army of the Republic and of the men who saved
the Union from 1861 to 1865. With this in mind, I would like to recognize my direct ancestors
who fought for the Union:
James William Dibrell Jones (Great-Grandfather)
Pvt., 111th Ill. Vol. Inf. Regt.; Brevet Comm. Sgt, U.S. Marine Hospital, Paducah, KY
Ira B. Vangilder (2x Great-Grandfather)
Pvt., 23rd N.Y. Vol. Inf. Regt.; Hospital Steward, Co. A, 1st D. C. Cavalry
Died November 11, 1864, Florence Prison, South Carolina.
2. The headquarters of the Department is transferred to my home address as stated above.
You can reach me either by e-mail or cell phone (also above). Electronic communications are
the preferred method of correspondence.
3. Appointments of Department officers and members to Department committees will be posted
on the Department’s websites. Many thanks to Signals Officer Bro. George A. Huttick, incoming
Department Secretary-Treasurer Bro. Craig Taylor Brown, PDC, and Bro. Geoffrey Hintze,
PDC, for invaluable contributions and urge all Camps to offer their assistance. Congratulation
to Bro. David Michael Du Brucq, CC, of the Army of Tennessee Camp No. 64 and Fort
Donelson Camp No. 62 on his election as Department Junior Vice-Commander.
4. Direct financial and other correspondences for the Department should be directed to the
Department Secretary/Treasurer Craig Taylor Brown, 221 Glascock St., Alcoa, TN 37701,
Telephone: (865) 250-8090, E-mail: email@example.com
5. I ask all Camps within the Department of Tennessee to please inform the Department
Secretary/Treasurer of all address changes within 30 days of any known changes and of all
deceased members as known.
6. The Encampment voted favorably on several changes to the Department By-Laws. The
revised By-Laws will be posted soon. Camps are also reminded of General Order No. 18,
Series 2017-2018, dated 6 February 2018, regarding the amendment of Camp By-Laws as we
continue to seek tax-exemption under IRC Section 501(c)(3). Camps must be compliant by 31
7. The Department Special Committee on National Encampment will remain in place to serve
the Department charged with planning and organizing a National Encampment with the
Department as host.
8. The 24th Annual Department Encampment will be held in Memphis, Tennessee, and hosted
by the Sultana Camp No. 1. More details will become available as plans are finalized.
9. Department Order 2017-2018 – 02 ordering a period of thirty-days mourning for Brother
Charles Yates, PDC will continue in full force and effect.
10. Our sincerest condolences to the family of Department Senior Vice-Commander Roger A.
Tenney, CC, on the loss of his mother. May He bless and comfort their family during this time of
11. Although we have reached a significant milestone of 200 members under PDC
McReynolds’ leadership, I encourage all camps to reach out to past members of the Order.
Membership is our life blood. We must all work together to attract new members and
encourage the participation of our current members. Without retention and new members, no
organization can longer endure. I challenge all Camps to re-enlist at least three members who
have lapsed in dues over the past years. Discover their interests so we can keep them as
SO ORDERED on this, the 9th day of April 2018
In Fraternity, Charity, and Loyalty,
/s/ Ben Block Jones II, Commander