|HEADQUARTERS OF THE DEPARTMENT COMMANDER
DEPARTMENT OF TENNESSEE WITH ALABAMA AND MISSISSIPPI
SONS OF UNION VETERANS OF THE CIVIL WAR
Ben Block Jones II, PCC
246 Highland Place Dr.
Jackson, MS 39211-5909
DEPARTMENT ORDER #2, 2018-2019
By the authority vested in me as Commander of the Department of Tennessee with Alabama and Mississippi, I hereby issue this order.
1. The first Decoration Day was inaugurated by General Logan through Order No. 11, issued on May 5, 1868. In that order he stated that May 30 would be the appointed day to honor our “comrades who died in defense of their country.” That date became the traditional date for Decoration Day and, as we now knows it, Memorial Day.
2. This year we will mark the 150th Anniversary of General Order No. 11 and the first Memorial Day at Arlington National Cemetery in 1868.
3. Camps and Brothers are therefore urged to celebrate this momentous occasion and take part in any services on the traditional Memorial Day, Wednesday, May 30, 2018.
4. Participation in events and remembrances on the designated Federal holiday (Monday, May 28, 2015) and during the entire period known as Memorial Day Weekend, May 26 through May 28, is also strongly encouraged.
5. In the words of General Logan: “Let us, then, at the time appointed gather around their sacred remains and garland the passionless mounds above them with the choicest flowers of springtime; let us raise above them the dear old flag they saved from dishonor. . .”
SO ORDERED on this, the 22nd day of May, 2018
In Fraternity, Charity, and Loyalty,
/s/ Ben Block Jones II, Commander