|HEADQUARTERS OF THE DEPARTMENT COMMANDER|
DEPARTMENT OF TENNESSEE WITH ALABAMA AND MISSISSIPPI
SONS OF UNION VETERANS OF THE CIVIL WAR
Ben Block Jones II, PCC
246 Highland Place Dr.
Jackson, MS 39211-5909
By the authority vested in me as Commander of the Department of Tennessee:
- The following are reminders for our upcoming Department Encampment:
a. Our Department Encampment is fast approaching. The deadline for our discount Group rate is January 16, 2019. Reserve your room now and directly with the hotel. Don’t forget to mention Special Code “SUVS” or “Sons of Union Veterans” for our Group Rate of $109 plus tax per night. Courtyard by Marriott, Memphis-Collierville, 4640 Merchants Park Circle, Collierville, TN 38107, Phone: (901) 850-9390. The Encampment Registration fee is now $20 with lunch at $14 per person, payable to Clyde J. Getman, 5922 Hickory Grave Lane, Bartlett, TN 38134-5531. Lunch will be canceled if not enough tickets are purchased by the January 31, 2019, cut-off date. For more details, see Department Order No. 4,
b. All Tennessee Department Camp Secretaries should be applying the new Department $5.00 per capita dues amount to their “Camp Status Reports” and yearly “Camp Annual Report Form 27”. Camp Commanders are asked to confirm all “Camp Annual Reports” are submitted no later than April 30, 2019, to the Department Secretary.
c. Camp Commanders and Patriotic Instructors are asked to submit their annual reports on Form 40 no later than March 1, 2019, to Carl Addison, Department Patriotic Instructor.
d. Camp Commanders and Secretaries are reminded to confirm their Camp’s Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) to the Department Secretary no later than March 1, 2019. Camps are further reminded to file their respective Form 990-N as soon as possible, but no later than May 15, 2019.
e. Pursuant to C-in-C General Order No. 18, Series 2017-2018, 06 February 2018, all Camps are tasked with amending their respective by-laws to include language required for the SUVCW group exemption. “Department Commanders are directed to ensure that Camps under their command take the necessary action to include these articles in their by-laws no later than 31 May 2019 and to file a report with the National Treasurer stating that all Camps in their Departments are compliant by 30 June 2019.” If your Camp has amended their by-laws accordingly, please bring a copy to the Encampment for submission to the Department Secretary.
- I would ask that the Department Secretary prepare a draft of the 2018 Department Encampment minutes and financial report for review prior to convening the 2019 Encampment to order.
- I would ask the Department Council to be prepared to meet early Saturday morning with Secretary/Treasurer Craig Taylor Brown in order to meet its obligation to review and “audit” the books. Our Department meeting ceremonies will begin sharply at 9:00 a.m.
- Our Encampment will be held before the due date for submission of the Camp Annual Report. For Camps to be eligible for the Department Awards for Membership Growth and Percentage, I need each Camp to submit a list of new members in 2018, new Camp officers, and a newsletter sample ON OR BEFORE FEBRUARY 8, 2019. These can be submitted informally or on the respective forms in addition to the camp’s usual report to the encampment. Normally, membership actions during December (Form 30) and installing officer reports (Form 22) are submitted no later than February 15, with the Camp Annual Report (Form 27), Roster, and Per Capita due no later than April 30.
- All reports of appointed officers and committees should be submitted to the Department Secretary with a copy to the Department Commander ON OR BEFORE FEBRUARY 8, 2019.
- I hereby request that every Camp sending brothers and or delegations to the Department encampment to bring your camp flag and base to display and represent your camp.
- One of the purposes of the Encampment is to share ideas, provide constructive criticism and suggestions to assist in the improvement of the National Organization, the Department and the camps and to adopt proposals and resolutions for betterment of the Department and its camps and therefore the Order. I am looking forward our encampment.
SO ORDERED on this, the 8th day of January 2019
In Fraternity, Charity, and Loyalty,
/s/ Ben Block Jones II, Commander